Love at First Sight



She skidded for about twenty meters before smashing into the rear of a stationery truck.
Those twenty meters turned out to be the longest stretch I had ever negotiated in my life. 
The impact jolted me violently.
For a few seconds, my mind drew a blank.
I could think, see or hear nothing.
Then, everything returned with double the force.
It was as if the past got obliterated in one single stroke and the future ceased to exist.

I felt acute pain in my knees.
I reached for the doorknob and tuned it. It worked.
I pushed myself out into the open.
I felt as if I emerged out of a dark cave.
The deafening sound of passing traffic struck me like a lightning bolt.

A crowd was beginning to swell around us.
Someone placed his hand on my shoulder gently.
‘What happened brother?’
It was a good question.
With some effort, I maneuvered my way around her.
Her front was thrown open by the sheer force of the collision. She was disfigured beyond recognition. A dark green liquid oozed out of her guts and ran on the black road like an ugly serpent.

An old fellow with a golden tooth looked towards the heavens and remarked in an honest voice, ‘Thank God, you are safe. Things come and go but human life is priceless.’
I stared at the thing.
Six years back, I had fallen head over heels for her.
In fact, it was a classic case of love at first sight.
And I never recovered from its sweet taste.

Wherever we went, she was mobbed and admired.
Her complexion, strength and to be a bit impolite, her curves made many a hearts skip their beats.
She was simply gorgeous.
Every evening, when we returned from the office and reached home, I would touch her softly and whisper, ‘Tired? Don’t worry. I have nothing for you this weekend. Take rest.’
And she always smiled back at me, always.

In a city packed with high, concrete buildings and ambitious, worldly people, she was like an oasis of peace into whose cozy folds I could always hide and find comfort.
I travelled with her only up to the office and back.
For any other journey, big or small, I hired a cab.
I never bothered her unnecessarily.

Except for that one time.

 A metallic idol of Lord Ganesha was among many objects that were part of her accessories.
I always started my day by bowing in front of the elephant god.
Occasionally, she would go to the nearby workshop for bit of a tune up.
No one could ever guess her age.
She always looked young and dashing.

There were times she would get angry.
This generally happened when I somehow ignored her.
On all such occasions, she just won’t buzz.
However, a little pep talk and an apology here and a kiss there, and I always managed to win her back.

And then, she stood there, bleeding and in pain.
She had absorbed the dreadful shock and saved my life.
In the process, she died.
A thin film of tears appeared in my eyes.
Just a few hours back, we were cruising happily towards our destination.
And there I was, standing in the middle of a listless road, a complete stranger to my surroundings with nowhere to go - lonely, hungry and devastated.

After a while, a towing van arrived and we left for the nearest garage.
The insurance guy kept talking to me continuously over the phone.
He was sorry that this had taken place.
I gave him all the details.
It happened because it had to.                            

Some more formalities and paper work took place at the garage.
At the end of it, it was time for us to part.
I gazed at her one last time.
She smiled back at me, as always.

More than a month passed.
Those twenty meters before the collision haunted me day and night.
The surveyor had finished his inspection and declared her unserviceable.
She was to be sold as scrap.
But he promised me a good return.

I rolled back to the city.
People suggested that I should look for a new one.
But I had left my heart back in that garage.
I often dreamt of undertaking long trips with her on bright Sunday mornings - she as beautiful as ever and me as alive in her presence as I could be.

She was not my car.

She was my Baby.

Comments

  1. I got tears in my eyes while reading it..i read it twice..
    And i don't have words to describe my feelings..Life sometimes takes the most loved things from us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Aanchal. And life only gives us the strength to cope up with the loss.

      Delete
  2. It's really deep and heartouching Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful personification of the car and the undying attachment and affection towards it. Sometimes our affixation to a thing is so strong that we tend to love and care it like our near and dear once. And for these special acquaintances, it would be wrong to call them a thing because they are our special friends who prefer even dying in an unavoidable circumstances. This story touched deep and gave a similar kind of extreme pain when a loved one leaves for ever. No doubt such incidences jolt us down and shake our innermost soul, but we need to overcome them sooner or with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very emotional story sir. Loosing a loved on either living or non living, always painful.

      Delete
    2. I agree Shalini. And mostly, the gravity of loss is best understood by the person concerned. Rest of the world carries on.

      Delete
  4. Yes Rajesh. Love doesn't distinguish living from the non living.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir the way used by you to describe love for your car is very deep and heart touching and i can't express in words that what I have acquired from this story thank you sir for making us realise that what actually a love is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mukul. Your comments indicate that for most of us, love has a much wider definition.You can fall in love with your car also.

      Delete
  6. Sir defination of love described by you is really i mean I can't make it express in words as it is really appreciable and yes sir i am in love with my car because i knew that the way i drives only my car can handle and he is my support system as whenever i get sad i used to drive :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very intense and touching. I can understand the sentiment attached to your 'Baby'. My 'Baby' is now 13 years old and except for few scratches here and there.....she is still splendid and impeccable. Perhaps I can never part with her.
    Looking forward for more articles in future from you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sanjay

    Thanks for reading Love at First Sight.I share the same sentiments.What makes anything alive is the love and care you shower upon it. And it is as true about human beings as about the car you drive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed very gripping and well composed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is indeed a very touching story.Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

उपहार

The Golden Bird

An Ugly Face